Welcome!

Well ladies...and maybe a man or two here or there. It's time to start this little project.
I have decided to begin a blog posting family recipes from all different generations as a way for us to connect.
I think no one will argue (especially those steming from the Hall family) that some of our best memories are based around the holidays and family gatherings when we all come together, gossiping in the kitchen and picking at the food while we prepare our favorite family dishes.
We remember the moment as children when we were allowed to help out in preparing the feast, although I dont know about you but I got the lousy jobs...like peeling 5 lbs. of potatoes...
but it didn't matter...I loved being in the kitchen with all the girls and pretending to know what I was doing...
Over the years most of those recipes still come together for our family affairs...although some recipes are getting lost along the way...and phone calls and emails are sent to everyone to try and track down an old recipe that we remembered as kids. So thats where I have decided to step in...
I have decided to collect recipes that hold a special place to someone and post them here...some may bring back memories, and some will be from other families that may become a new family tradition in yours...




So come on ladies...and those few men...send me your recipes and let's get cookin!

Tuna Kobachi

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ok so most of you know my small obsession with sushi...well i have made my own version of tuna kobachi and turned it into a great finger food for parties! unfortunately i have my nanas cooking style and dont measure anything so bare with me...



Sushi grade tuna....amount depends on the size of group your serving!
sriracha...a japanese chili sauce
sesame oil
light soy sauce
mayonnaise
sesame seeds
scallions
avocado
and any form of rice cracker


i take the tuna and finely dice it so it serves like a salad. i combine it with sriracha, sesame oil, light soy sauce, and diced avocado. add the ingredients in small amounts at a time so you dont over do one! also use sriracha sparingly...its hotter than it looks.

then i combine mayo and sriracha with a little sesame oil to make a drizzle.

take the rice crackers and place spoonfuls of tuna on top. then drizzle with spicy mayo and top with scallions.

if your friends love sushi they will love this dish!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I love the name and I like the concept, great recipes too.

I have added your blog to my Blogger's Cafe:
http://avarchives.blogspot.com/
In Library 2 - Food & Drinks
pop on over and check it out. You'll find other F&D blogs there to look at too.

Hopefully you'll get some more readers from this exposure.

A small piece of advice; use pictures, a picture with each post related to the post or the recipe. It will enhance the appearance of your blog immensely. Have a look at my Things that Fizz & Stuff: http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/
My Fizz concept is different to yours, but you will see that from looking at it, pictures make a visual impact. Check out some of the other blogs listed as well, you will note that nearly all use this.

A blog needs some colour, needs to be visually appealing for people to return.

Now, my greatest criticism; the template is horrid. Sorry, but my opinion. Have a look around, there are plenty of great free templates to choose from on the net. Have a look a http://www.pyzam.com and that's just one source.

Post quality and post often, is the best rule to follow, when people leave comments, always answer them, that will ensure further visits and participation. Put your profile up as well, people like to check and see what part of the world you're from.

Keep going, good luck.

AV

Salty Supply said...

this recipe is by far one of my favorites, one thing she left out is sesame seeds, I like to sprinkle white and black(roasted sesame) on top as well. It can also made as spicy as you like.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ang,

I have never used that Google Profile msg before, so I will answer here:

so im new to this blogging thing and decided to start forget me not recipes as a hobby...i have a question,,,how do i get the catergories section like you have? i want to be able to seperate my recipes like that. also where do i see the recipe you left?

Newbie... in that case welcome to the blogosphere...

You chose a great hobby, mine started out the same way and has become an obsession.

I have been blogging for a couple of years. I also have a little pre-knowledge of html from years ago, so that helps.

The categories (Reviews, Libraries, etc) are actually separate blogs in their own right linked to the Home blog.

I didn't actually leave a recipe, but rather invited you to visit my blog to see. http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/ I don't specifically deal with recipes. I am a chef, but I don't have a recipe in writing, as is the way with chefs. Recipes are for housewives. Don't get me wrong, I am not slandering the housewife, but it is a little different when you cook commercially (which I am not doing at the moment, I am teaching English - LOL) My blog is more generally about food and drink, information rather than recipes, although some appear.

If I can be any further help help let me know.

AV